The Innovation Promotion Agency CTI is an independent Commission that is financed by the Swiss Confederation. It backs technology and knowledge transfers between universities and private economy, as innovation is an engine that sustains the economy. The promotion of entrepreneurship specifically targets growth-oriented business projects with a technological focus.
The promotion of start-ups remains its core mission, because numerous innovations are realised and put on the market by young entrepreneurs and ventures. CTI supports enabling technologies by proving access to a range of bespoke training seminars, business coaching, tools and methodologies and its pool of experts and services as well as funding means.
Four CTI pillars in Support
- CTI Entrepreneurship by Venturelab: the training and educational framework for potential business founders, delivered by Venturelab
- CTI Start-up: is the hands-on coaching programme for business founders and young entrepreneurs
- CTI Project & Promotion R&D support: the development programme for enabling technologies applied to business driven projects
- CTI Invest: the platform for business financing through business angels as well as both national and international venture capital firms.
Are you on the verge of starting your own company, are in the stealth mode, or have already done so? Do you feel that you need some guidance, support and help to take off?
CTI Start-up is then the right partner to engage and you will be able to enrol in a tailored professional guidance programme. At completion of the coaching stage, and pending the clearance of peer reviewers having assessed that your technology, IP, financials and business are sound, you are entitled to apply for the CTI Start-up Label. It validates that your company has the potential for sustainable growth and perennial.
Coaching to Empowerment
- Basic Check of Business Idea: the project team or young entrepreneur has to submit a business idea to CTI Start-up, which is then evaluated by experts.
- Professional Evaluation: when the project is accepted for registration, it is allocated a CTI Start-up coach. All over 60 CTI Start-up coaches are experts in their field and help company founders and young entrepreneurs to professionally prepare and refine their business concept. Next the experts carry out a detailed evaluation based on the criteria: Market, technology, feasibility, management team, and patents.
- Professional Coaching: when the evaluation is positive, the business strategy is then optimised together with the coach and a detailed business plan devised. A pool of specialists can be consulted in order to assess specific business, technological and legal matters. This phase lasts between 6 and 18 months. Eventually, project teams can apply for the CTI Start-up Label and present their venture in a plenary assembly consisting of managers, entrepreneurs, finance and patent experts. The certification board delivers the CTI Start-up Label if all the conditions are met.
- Arm’s Length Coaching: when necessary, Label companies can be granted additional support to ease business growth.
Thus far, CTI Start-up has reviewed more than 2 000 projects, and has awarded over 270 start-up ventures with the CTI Start-up Label. Over 85% of these companies are still in business and some have shown remarkable growth, which is a sign that CTI Start-up guides them to sustainable success.